Tuesday, June 25, 2013

THERAPEUTIC LIVING





Nothing would make me happier than to run out of psychotherapy patients.  Don’t get me wrong.  I enjoy doing therapy; that’s why I got into this field.  But I’d be happy if all my potential clients figured it all out so that they didn’t need my services.  I would have to make some changes to my practice (or get a second job selling mandolin picks, perhaps, and here and there a harmonica), but it would be worth it.

As it is, I’m afraid there is no immediate danger of me running out of therapy business.  There are, however, things people can be doing to improve their mental health before they set foot in my office.  I typically ask questions about lifestyle factors that can make a big difference in our quality of life.  These include exercise, diet, time spent in nature, relationships, recreation, relaxation and spirituality.   

Research supports the idea that these things can help us to be healthy and feel well.  Some of them are no surprise.  Pick up any magazine off the newsstand and you are likely to find an article on the benefits of eating well and exercising.  Some of them are a little unexpected.  Who knew, for example, that people who go to church weekly tend to live about seven years longer than people who don’t?  Or that being in nature can enhance our performance on cognitive tasks?

The unfortunate thing is that most therapists don’t ask their clients about such things.  I am always encouraged when the people I see have incorporated some of these factors into their daily lives.  It lets me know that they have resources to help them deal with the struggles that brought them to me in the first place.  I emphasize this in our first session, so they realize that they are already doing some things that will help them get where they want to be.

How about you?  How many of these factors are a regular part of your lifestyle?  What benefits do you enjoy?  What are the obstacles to incorporating more of them into your life?  Share with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment