Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Natural Opportunity Close to Home



In a recent issue of the Winston-Salem Journal columnist David Bare highlights a development near downtown Winston-Salem that will provide environmental and psychological benefits. The Gateway Nature Center is a project to restore and preserve 19 acres of land that had been tarnished by years of industrial activity and the encroachment of nonnative species of plants.

The Center will provide educational programs and facilities for all ages. The Gateway Environmental Initiative, the organization responsible for the Center, hopes to counteract one negative impact of our growing dependence on technology: decreased interaction with the natural world.

Exposure to nature seems to be a balm for some of the irritations of modern life. Nature sounds, and silence (remember silence?), stimulate effects that counteract the negative impact of human-generated noise on attention and sleep. Immersion in nature appears to reduce the symptoms of stress, depression and ADHD.

One of the questions I typically ask new clients is about the time they spend in nature. Our busy schedules and urban environment sometimes make it difficult to get out in the backyard, let alone the back woods. Still, research suggests that the effort is worth it.

Do yourself a favor and take a hike!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree completely. As a child of the 1960's and 70's I lived outdoors from early morning to sunset. I was either playing at Reynolda Gardens, Wake Forest, Graylyn, or down in Silas Creek. Flying Cox airplanes, launching hot-air balloons made of tissue paper, building tree forts, or playing in the woods. But kids these days are taught to be so risk-adverse. Maybe it's because jobs are scarce, money tight, and no room for error or injuries. I came home countless times with blood ooozing somewhere from my body. Either from flipping my bike, jumping a ramp with it, or tying a 24 ft jump chute to my sissy bar and letting it open behind me. Not good! I remember when Winston-Salem had more green places. Now it's becoming a parking lot. All you hear are the whine of car tires wherever you go. Being outdoors kept me sane. But now, as an adult, I long to be able to get outdoors more. Now that I am a parent, I struggle to give my children the same experiences I had. We don't live near Reynolda Gardens or my childhood haunts. They just want to play Wii, or watch T.V. I feel like I've failed as a dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people say that things have changed in W-S. It sounds like it was a fun time for you. You could take your children to see the old haunts. I'll bet it's something they would enjoy - either now or later in retrospect. And you'll have fun. Good luck! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete