Monday, November 6, 2017

Some Benefits of Nostalgia

Having just spent the weekend looking back (due to the passing of a loved one), I returned to find a link to this blog post from the American Psychological Association in my inbox this morning. At a time when I am trying to focus on being in the present, and struggling with the challenges of hanging onto things from the past, it is reassuring to learn that nostalgia has its good points.

I recall that nostalgia was somewhat prominent during my high school days, highlighted by the release of the film American Graffiti and the minor popularity of the band Sha Na Na. I'm sure I first learned of the word "nostalgia" during this period. I suspect that this sort of thing is cyclical. For me, things that happened during high school seem to occupy a lot of space in my memory.

Perhaps the information in the post can help some of us find the appropriate balance among the past, present and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment